Re: telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Jul 31 12:25:49 2001

	Using ssh or some other form of encryption to connect
to your routers is the best thing to do to avoid insecurity.

	The real question becomes insuring good security practices
by the user of ssh to connect to the system.

	Some good practices but not necessarily requirements:

	1) restricting the set of hosts by which one can connect
with ssh so evil.user.example.com doesn't connect.
	2) insuring good password security (including the use of SecurID
or some similar technology to prevent someone from standing
over your keyboard).
	3) Having sufficent security on your oob equipment
to prevent some kiddy that gets unlimited local calls from
finding your modem.  (There is various technology that can be used
here from caller-id to touch-tone password systems to secure your
devices).
	4) tacacs logging on your equipment that supports it.
	5) Use some config versioning system to detect changes
to configs and archive them.  This aides in the "who removed
X route" stuff.  This allows you to audit tacacs.log as well
as get diffs of the router configs when the change is made.

	I'm sure someone could write a BCP or something like that for
operating a internet connected network as far as securing your
device(s).

	- Jared