RE: telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Tue Jul 31 11:56:55 2001

I believe that folks are having problems saying why they use SSH instead of
telnet, because the best practice is simply so self-evident.

SSH gives you a measure of protection against bad people sniffing out your
passwords. Telnet does not. SSH is encrypted. Telnet is not. It's pretty
easy - only use telnet if you must. Use SSH if you possible can. Of course,
this also holds true for using scp instead of ftp, although scp isn't as
widely supported, yet.

- Daniel Golding