RE: ISP's who filter ICMP during DoS?

  • From: Los, Ralph
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 11:25:51 2001

Hello all,

	Absolutely.  I have some good answers for you.

::WILLING to filter
	(0) Savvis - Took them 10 minutes to drop the 254/255 port
utilization of ICMP traffic on my T-1 I have from them.  Their NOC (hats off
to 'Chris') is super-responsive.

	(1) UUNet - They're helpful, if you can get through to an actual
engineer, not a help desk drone...what is WITH these help desk people??

::CLUELESS
	(0) PSINet - Sorry guys.  Both our T-1's (Savvis and PSINet) on one
segment got nailed....the Savvis boys loosened the noose, PSINet (help desk
drone) asked me to submit logs to their '[email protected]' mailbox, wait up to 24-hours
for a call back, and they'd go from there.  Folks, I work for a
financial-services corporation, in 24 hours, I'd lose, what $200 million in
business?  No wonder they're bankrupt.  (Great engineers,
less-than-intelligent drones at the 'help desk').

	(1) Winstar - /chuckle/.  They couldn't find me in their customer
database, but by the time they firgured out who I was, I had hung up and
cancelled the line.  (We got this as a freebie, couldn't complain).

	(2) AT&T - I can't stand support drones that don't understand what
an ICMP flood is, much less know what to do with it.  I had to explain to
them that ICMP flooding is a DDoS and that I needed someone from
engineering.  Wow...Kevin couldn't convince this half-wit I conversed with
to get me to an engineer.  I gave up and just let the router die.

Cheers!

Ralph M. Los
Asst. Vice-President, Internet Systems and Security
EnvestNet Advisory Corp.
[email protected]
(312) 827-3945 (direct)
(312) 296-9003 (wireless w/voicemail)