Query: What policies do backbone providers use to determine IP ownership?

  • From: Tony Mumm
  • Date: Wed May 23 10:28:52 2001

All,

I'm curious to what extent everyone is checking to determine
ownership of IP addresses when taking on new customers.

Lately, multi-homing has become a very hot topic for even the
smallest of providers.  With that, customers are bringing along
their IP addresses from their previous providers.   Are we
required, as providers, to determine if that block is actually
owned by that customer, and facilitates good Internet routing?

I've seen a trend lately where I'm finding out, after the fact,
where pieces of larger CIDR blocks are being taken apart by a
myriad of unaggregated routes.   The other backbone providers
freely allowed an announcement of that non-portable space to the
Internet without regard to either the owning provider, or to
general Internet routing.

My concern is two fold:

	1)	This contributes to terrible Internet routing.  By not
addressing this with the customer 			right away, we'll continue
to deal with a proliferation of /24s and Internet bloat.   I
realize the customer needs its address space to announce
separately, but should we allow 			them to freely announce random
/24's?   This is only due to that the customer received IPs 		by
growing over the years, rather than getting a single block up
front.

	2)  	It seems that other providers are allowing our customers to
hijack our routing space piece 		by piece.   I will happily
participate in multihoming a customer, but I would hope it
involves us.  We can make a contiguous allocation from our CIDR
blocks, and then work with 		the customer in a more consistent
manner.  Much of this is customer education about 			multihoming,
but unfortunately we often find out too late.

So the question becomes, what do providers do to determine where
a block is coming from, and what is its implications on the
global routing system?   Just cutting and pasting an email from
the customer into an access-list seems to be what we have now...

I'd be interested to hear what others thoughts and experience are
with this.  Perhaps I'm just overly concerned with a normal
happening on the Internet.

Comments?

Tony