Re: Query: What policies do backbone providers use to determine IPownership?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Thu May 24 01:05:55 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Tony Mumm wrote:

> I've seen a trend lately where I'm finding out, after the fact,
> where pieces of larger CIDR blocks are being taken apart by a
> myriad of unaggregated routes.   The other backbone providers
> freely allowed an announcement of that non-portable space to the
> Internet without regard to either the owning provider, or to
> general Internet routing.

Here's a related question.  Suppose provider A has a customer C who
multihomes with a connection to A and provider B.  C uses IP's assigned by
A.  C terminates service with A...but keeps announcing A's space to B.  B
propogates the routes to their peers.  B and C ignore requests that they
stop using A's space and renumber into B's.  How does A reclaim their
space?

One obvious solution is dueling routes...A could announce more specific
routes, fouling things up for B and C hoping this will serve as
encouragement for C to renumber.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |