Re: black hat .cn networks

  • From: Michael C . Wu
  • Date: Fri May 11 11:12:52 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:28:13PM -0400, Shawn McMahon scribbled:
| On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:28:18PM +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
| > In fact there is a simple variant of your third option: send clear,
| > coherent messages in standard English.  I think that on the whole
| > you will find that it works wonders.
|
| Sometimes, yes.  We have numerous stories here from people who say it's
| not working for them.

Send clear, simple, coherent messages.  Use short sentences
and do not use fancy grammar like multiple nested clauses.
Remember, the other end needs to be able to parse the information. :)

| > There is a strange assumption underlying what you are saying here:
| > Chinese people can't learn English.
| >
| > You are wrong.
|
| There's a strange assumption underlying what you are saying here; that I
| think Chinese people can't learn English.
|
| You are wrong.  Some of my favorite co-workers are Chinese, and speak
| English more than well enough to deal with any request we're likely to
| make of them.

As someone else mentioned on the list, most of the people in the
world learn English when they receive an education.  (Not even
higher education, just middle and high school)  Whether they can
speak English well is not an issue, because there is bound
to be someone in their office who speaks English well.

In fact, one of my former female friends, who was a US diplomat's
daughter in Taiwan, and who never spoke a word of Chinese at all,
was able to communicate with the 7-11 and supermarket clerks in
Taiwan without difficulty.

That said, whoever wanted to block *.cn at IX's must have been one
ignorant admin.  If anything, there are more crackers and script kiddies
in the US than anywhere else in the world.  According to his idiotic logic,
shall we block *.{com,net,gov,mil,edu,org,us}?

| I deal with native speakers of various Chinese dialects every time I order
| an airsoft from a Hong Kong dealer.  I would have to be delusional to
| think it was impossible for Chinese people to learn English.
|
| It is also possible for you to learn Chinese.  Just because a thing is
| possible does not mean 6 billion people will do that thing.

| [email protected]         | [email protected]       |
| http://iteration.net/~keichii | Yes, BSD is a conspiracy. |