Re: black hat .cn networks

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Wed May 09 22:39:14 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:28:18PM +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:

> In fact there is a simple variant of your third option: send clear,
> coherent messages in standard English.  I think that on the whole
> you will find that it works wonders.

Sometimes, yes.  We have numerous stories here from people who say it's
not working for them.

> There is a strange assumption underlying what you are saying here:
> Chinese people can't learn English.
>
> You are wrong.

There's a strange assumption underlying what you are saying here; that I
think Chinese people can't learn English.

You are wrong.  Some of my favorite co-workers are Chinese, and speak
English more than well enough to deal with any request we're likely to
make of them.

I deal with native speakers of various Chinese dialects every time I order
an airsoft from a Hong Kong dealer.  I would have to be delusional to
think it was impossible for Chinese people to learn English.

It is also possible for you to learn Chinese.  Just because a thing is
possible does not mean 6 billion people will do that thing.