Re: gigabit router (was Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20)

  • From: Matt Zimmerman
  • Date: Thu Apr 12 10:08:12 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 05:16:15PM -0400, Kavi, Prabhu wrote:

> Vendors have known how to solve this problem for many years.
> Failure to do so is a poor implementation and has nothing to do
> with centralized forwarding being better/worse than distributed
> forwarding.

It _does_ show that distributed forwarding will be significantly more complex
and more difficult to implement.  I am not arguing that distributed forwarding
is a bad thing; on the contrary, it has a logical and demonstrated performance
benefit.  However, it comes with a cost in overall system complexity.

--
 - mdz