RE: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Miles Fidelman
  • Date: Fri Mar 16 08:48:04 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > > At some point cooperation has to yield to due process - at least that's
> > the history of society to date. Unless there's a major change to the
> > Internet infrastructure, we need DNS to function reliably, and that
> > requires that the root nameservers behave the way they're supposed to.
>
> I don't see any problem with anything you have said. I think the
> difficulty comes when I tell you that the root servers I choose to use are
> operating fine, and you attempt to tell me that I have to use yours.

For the Internet to work, at least with currently accepted DNS standards,
everyone has to use the same root servers. Otherwise things can rapidly
degenerate into chaos. The whole point of law and due process is that
a duly authorized somebody has to have the authority to insist that
everyone use the same root servers.

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
[email protected]	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"