RE: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Jeff Workman
  • Date: Fri Mar 16 08:41:52 2001

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Patrick Greenwell exclaimed:

Perhaps you might like to define "cooperating" for us? Has ICANN
cooperated with the individuals and organizations that currently run
alternate TLDs which predate the existence of ICANN? Or is it
rather simply that "might makes right" and they only need to cooperate
with "people that matter?"
I cannot say that I agree wholeheartedly with ICANN's decision making process. However, New.Net's way of creating new TLDs is *not* the way to do it! Furthermore, attempting to circumvent ICANN and the current DNS system is *not* going to get New.Net any brownie points with them, and most certainly isn't going to help get new TLDs established in the proper DNS root.

Besides, why can't you face the fact that this isn't some rebellion against ICANN? It's nothing more than a money scam. I seriously doubt that New.Net or it's investors care about ICANN or it's politics. Somebody got an idea, saw dollar signs, and the marketroids went wild. This kind of greed, IMNSHO, contributes largely to the poor performance of dotcom/tech stocks currently.

If the marketroids are going to have this level of control over the technical aspects of the Internet, why don't we all just march over to the marketing department, hand them our root and enable passwords, and tell them, "Ok, you created this mess, now run the fscking thing yourself!" and take a _long_ vacation?

Jeff

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.