Re: [NANOG] Re: Reasons why BIND isn't being upgraded

  • From: Pim van Riezen
  • Date: Fri Feb 02 06:54:38 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> So far as I saw 8.2.2-P7 logged all of these errors and so could have
> given you ample time to fix up all of the problems just like it did for
> me.

In an ideal world, I agree with you. The base of all of this discussion
was how it can be that so many people take a while upgrading bind. I think
the situation I ran into is a realistic real world scenario. Understaffed
organizations will run into their own walls pretty easily when trying to
tackle the upgrade.

> [snip serving borken zones is bad]

I am near to agreeing with you if it were about not picking up a
zone-change when the zonefile has turned bogus. However, the effect of a
zone no longer being authoritative on the primary is not really what I'd
define as fun either :).

> Unfortunately BIND has never come with the equivalent of a GNU "NEWS"
> file to mention explicitly all of the user-visible differences and with
> all new releases it sometimes a bit of an adventure to discover all the
> new features and any incompatibilities.

Voila, I think that this is what my problem was. Like I said, the
information _was_ out there, it was just not intuitively available. So the
upgrade will scare some people off, if they don't manage to find it.

Cheers,
Pi