Re: peer "sanity" filters - best practices?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jan 24 21:15:25 2001

On Wed, 24 January 2001, "David P. Maynard" wrote:
> Several times over the past few years, the NANOG list has discussed the
> topic of if or how non-transit peer BGP announcements should be filtered.
> I searched through the archives, but couldn't find where anyone had
> published a summary of best practices for filtering announcements from
> peers that aren't one of the "top N" (for some debatable value of N)
> NSPs.

I don't know why you wouldn't also filter the Top N providers, since
most of the huge problems have resulted in poor filtering between
large providers.  A small provider can't really have much of an impact
on the net unless their bogus announcements are propagated.  Its the
propagation of bad information which turns it into a worldwide problem.

As to your question.  Try searching for discussion about "access-list 112"
It will be a bit heated, but you'll find a few usefull tidbits in there.