Re: UUNET peering policy

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Sun Jan 14 02:40:21 2001

Sean Donelan wrote:

> One of the reasons why I asked for copies of old peering policies is
> because essentially every major provider has publically announced their
> policy at one time or another in the last decade.  Saying "First" about
> anything should mean more than the last 18 months.

If we want to talk about first, I guess we should acknowledge that the
first transmissions between UCLA, SRI and UCSB in Nov of '69 resulted
from the first peering agreements ;-). But I digress...

Sean, you're right in that there have been many major and minor peering
battles, with lots of "publication" of policies at different times. The
point I attempted to make, apparently unsuccessfully, was that in the
current round, after the EU battle, Genuity posted its policy publicly
to defuse any claims of the pot calling the kettle black in front of the
politicos. And UUNet was effectively and finally forced to do the same
recently. I assume no-one would argue that UUNet is the 800 lb
gorilla... and based on the specifics of the policy, and the fact that
it has been published to attempt to debunk the existence of an "old
boy's network" in peering, they would find it very difficult to refuse
peering arbitrarily. And I believe that this will a) create an
environment and reason for regionals to merge, and b) prove to be a
prelude to a Worldcom/UUNet acquisition binge, maybe including some
"really big" networks.

That's all.

I went back and looked through the records, and found an announcement
from John Sidgemore on May 13, 1997, discussing the change in peering
you mention (http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/inwo/0513/inwo0001.html).
However there was never a public document that I can remember, or
locate. Did you find a public document with _specific_ requirements from
UUNet in the past? My peering agreement outside of CIX with them in 1995
was verbal, with a hand shake. And G-d knows the traffic was unbalanced.

Consider publishing your research and records. And perhaps we can get
others to contribute. It is historic. I kick myself for not having kept
the emails that flowed between the designated contacts of the core group
connected to the CIX router in Santa Clara in the early 90's. The
colorful language and entertaining flame wars between people who have
become rich and famous (and some who have disappeared) were magical in
hindsight. Bob Collett, Marty Schoffstall, Paul Vixie, Rick Adams, and
Bill Washburn were regular folks back then ;-)

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.