Re: small device with IP address

  • From: Michael C . Wu
  • Date: Sun Dec 24 14:27:59 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 03:23:45PM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson scribbled:
| Does anyone know if there is a device somewhere that is small, cheap, has
| 1 10mbit (or 100mbit) ethernet port and a small IP stack that enable you
| to set ip address and default gateway on it (dhcp perhaps?).
|
| I would like to put something like this at some customers to use for
| pinging to see that the customer is reachable. Cost should preferrably be
| in the $50-$100 range.

No such devices at your price range exist that will do what you want.
Attached is a post to [email protected] recently.

I personally like the Advantech.com PCM5823, because it is the only
one that does not have a PoS Realtek ethernet chipset. (It has Intel 82559.)
http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-5823.asp

If you really want El Cheapo :
http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-4823.asp
http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-5820.asp

Simply buy the single board computer, a 32mb CompactFlash disk,
and a case.  Roll your own Linux (perhaps FreeBSD :P) CF image.
There are various already configured embedded *nix CF images
available somewhere online.

I am certain that they will give volume discounts. It would be
$500 per pop for the whole thing.  Also, if you know anybody who
lives in Taiwan, their local prices are much cheaper than the
prices for export.
| [email protected]         | [email protected] |
| http://peorth.iteration.net/~keichii | Yes, BSD is a conspiracy. |