RE: small device with IP address

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Thu Dec 21 18:15:00 2000

While not pretty, there a few DSL or cable modem routers/internet sharing
devices available at the consumer level (in the U.S.) that are in that
price range. They have an ethernet interface, so you could conceivably
ignore the DSL interface and just DHCP an address to the ethernet
interface. I wouldn't be surprised if they have rudimentary SNMP support
too.

Vendors that have equipment in this price range include: Netgear, D-Link,
Allied Telesyn, Linksys, SMC, and others.

I have no experience with these, your YMMV.

Deepak Jain
AiNET