RE: Where are ATM NAPs going?

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Mon Dec 18 11:54:23 2000

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Ben Buxton wrote:
> > I'm interested in peoples thoughts as to what is happening with the
> > future of ATM NAPs. Are people moving away from them or are they
> > still quite popular? Downsides or upsides?
> > I'm trying to gauge whether they are worthy of investing equipment
> > and hassle into for peering...
>
> From a research university perspective, the AADS NAP is a cool thing.  It
> lets me do peering & various types of transit on a single circuit, & the
> availability of the route servers is nice.  The full mesh of PVCs removes
> most of the layer 1-2 pain involved with firing up new interactions.  The
> circuit to get there isn't cheap, but it seems worth it based on my
> experience.

Do you have any expectations with regards to service provided between various
peers and the fact that some peers may (depending on your ATM QoS) step onto
other peering partners?

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz <[email protected]> -wk, <[email protected]> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.