Re: Where are ATM NAPs going?

  • From: Jay Ford
  • Date: Mon Dec 18 10:07:16 2000

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Ben Buxton wrote:
> I'm interested in peoples thoughts as to what is happening with the
> future of ATM NAPs. Are people moving away from them or are they
> still quite popular? Downsides or upsides?
> I'm trying to gauge whether they are worthy of investing equipment
> and hassle into for peering...

>From a research university perspective, the AADS NAP is a cool thing.  It
lets me do peering & various types of transit on a single circuit, & the
availability of the route servers is nice.  The full mesh of PVCs removes
most of the layer 1-2 pain involved with firing up new interactions.  The
circuit to get there isn't cheap, but it seems worth it based on my
experience.

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: [email protected], phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-5505