Re: Operations: where are you going to sit?

  • From: Timothy J Salo
  • Date: Wed Dec 06 22:10:09 2000

> Subject: Re: Operations: where are you going to sit?
> From: Michael Shields <[email protected]>
> Date: 07 Dec 2000 00:22:47 +0000
> 	[...]
> I think this is based on the same decision process that lead to the
> ban on cellphones in most commercial airplanes -- some unsustantiated
> anecdotes, no testing, and extremely risk-averse executives.
> 	[...]

For what it is worth, I believe that the use of cellphones in airplanes
is prohibited by the FCC, not by the FAA.  That is, the use of cellphones
in airplanes (in flight) adversely affects the cellphone system.  A
cellphone at a high altitude is visible in numerous cells, with conflicts
with the assumption that a cellphone will be heard (more or less) only
in one cell.

Now, about the use of other radio receivers and transmitters in airplanes...

More trivia from,

-tjs