Re: Anyone can help on this puzzle?

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Wed Dec 06 14:17:44 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 [email protected] wrote:

>  There is a IDC service provider whose data centers are
>  scattered here and there. It has its own AS number but no circuits to mesh its
>  nodes. If they want to run BGP with their carrier to exchange routes carrying
>  traffic between their nodes ( I suspect it is not a VPN senario because it is
>  using public IP address and most of the traffic is not internal) and their IP
>  block are potentially intersected among the nodes,  is each zone sharing
>  same AS and running like an island enough to go? And do we need an
>  IPsec gateway to create tunnels over public networks (through the eBGP peer?
>  >:$  #$*&^$#$!)  to setup iBGP if possible at all?

The first question is, do you really need BGP at all?  If there's only a
single service provider for each data center then probably not unless
their IP space is poorly allocated across the different centers.

If you do, indeed, need BGP, there isn't any reason to setup tunnels, just
run eBGP with each peer in each datacenter and make sure you have a
default route pointing to at least one of them since your routers will
ignore routes with your AS number in the AS Path.

Brandon Ross                                                 404-522-5400
EVP Engineering, NetRail                           http://www.netrail.net
AIM:  BrandonNR                                             ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!