Internet performance measures compared to other industires

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Dec 04 14:01:13 2000

I wonder if I'm sensitized to Internet problems in comparison
to other industries.  I checked a couple of other industries
often given as examples of high uptimes, and found similar
problems.

Ameritech will compensate 150,000 customers who waited more than
48 hours for a repair, or more than 7 days past the installation due
date since January 1 2000.  Ameritech is under investigation in four
other states for missed dates and repair problems.

An e-merchant reports credit card fraud verification system nonfunctional
22 percent of the time.  Mastercard and Visa didn't reply to press
inquiries.

NASDAQ reports 99.96% system availability since January 1 2000.

AT&T, the only ISP I know publicly posting connection stats, reports 99%
connect success last month.