RE: Traceroute versus other performance measurement

  • From: Mark Borchers
  • Date: Wed Nov 29 11:05:16 2000

Presumably you're asking if it's a good tool to measure
*available* bandwidth or lack thereof, i.e. congestion and
its byproducts of packet loss and increased latency.

No, it isn't!

- Congestion resulting from asymmetric paths can be misinterpreted
through traceroute.

- Cases where ICMP performance with respect to the routers
themselves is significantly lower than throughput of
production traffic will often skew results.

Having said that, where traceroutes suggest a POSSIBLE problem
on my own network, I'd check further.  However, I would never
ask the operator of another network to troubleshoot solely on
the basis of traceroute output.