RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 15:41:50 2000

In shops that block SSH, this is also what they do and is exactly what I
meant. I apologize for not communicating clearly and typing poorly (too many
decades writing code).

> It should not be hard to set up a persistent IPSec tunnel between UNIX
> hosts in order to pass SMB/NETBIOS traffic. You could even do it
> router-to-router in gateway mode and have the traffic be
> cleartext on the
> internal side of both networks, and 3DES/SHA-1 to the rest of
> the world.

When possible, I do this. The whole point of this is that transit providers
should not be filtering unless specifically requested.

> For the Road Warrior, though, it's going to be somewhat more difficult
> without using a VPN, as the Win32 implementations of IPSec are
> somewhat...lacking. (Or at least they were six months ago when I last
> tried the SSH IPsec shim for NT4.) Win2K's built-in IPSec
> makes life much
> easier...if you've got clients using Win2K. Can't vouch for
> interoperability between Win2K-UNIX, though. Never tried it myself.

I did, just as soon as it came out. It sux! Active directory also does a
number on the DOMAIN stuff in Samba. Fortunately, it allows backwards
compatibility to old-style WinNT4SP5 hosts. In fact, and I am sure that MS
did it to mess with the Samba folks, the entire DOMAIN stuff has been
re-spec'd and re-written.

---
I can't afford to have a preference, I must be agnostic.