RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 15:21:30 2000

[ On Sunday, November 19, 2000 at 10:56:03 (-0800), Roeland Meyer wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?
>
> > i'm not sure how port 22 effects IPsec.
>
> Kills it dead, just like SSH.

If your IPsec runs on port 22, then it's not IPsec.  :-)

So far, in my extremely narrow experience with such matters, I've not
yet run accross an end-user access provider who filters real IPsec.

I have, finally, started to encounter access providers who filter
spoofed source addresses though (and three cheers to them!).

I learned about the latter because my home tunnel wasn't capturing quite
every packet it should and as a result some asymmetric routing had been
going on and I was temporarily under the mistaken impression that my
provider had started filtering some legit traffic.

> Say that to a dot-com VP and manage to keep your business relationship
> (paycheck). If you can do that, I want you on my sales force.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way around.  If the dot-com VP
who pays you isn't in fear of your superior technical capabilities and
your control over his or her network then you need to remind that person
just how much they depend on you and just how little they want to anger
you and that they'd better do things your way or they'll not have a
dot-com business to be VP of.

Of course if you're just "selling" to the dot-com VP then yes, you're
not exactly going to be able to tell them to do things your way unless
you're able to present it as a solution to even more problems than they
percieve it will present to them.

Worse if the techie that the dot-com VP does live in fear of is just as
lost on the concepts as their management is, then you should probably
try to find a better customer that won't cost you as much to support.  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>