Re: Trusting BGP sessions

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Nov 15 02:51:09 2000

Ok, let me show why this isn't a valid reason.

Me: Will you peer with me on both coasts with this bandwidth using this
protocol?

BigISP: No, because we don't trust .....

Me: Will you sell me the same, identical connections in multiple locations
using the same, identical protocols?

BigISP: Of course, yes.

Me: If you have systems in place to protect your network against my network
as a customer, why don't those exact same systems work when you connect
the same network, router and protocol as a peer?

BigISP: Its too complicated, and you wouldn't understand.

Question: historically have more routing snafus originated in "customer"
BGP sessions or in "peer" BGP sessions?