Re: Fire protection in ISPs and collocation facilities

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Nov 04 20:59:32 2000

Several people have asked where can they obtain a copy of the US
Air Force draft.

Engineering Technical Letter (ETL) 00-3: Fire Protection Engineering
Criteria - Electronic Equipment Installations

http://www.afcesa.af.mil/Publications/Drafts/ETL00-3Draft.pdf

I find it interesting how the designs created by people who have to
operate an installation are different from the designs from consultants
and vendors, or even the National Fire Protection Association.  Or
commercials on television like those being run by Janus.

But back to my original question.  What is the real fire risk for
ISPs and collocation operators.  Is it burned buttered popcorn in the
microwave setting off the FM-200 system?  Is it home-made computers?
Is it the Emergency Power Off switch?

State Farm Insurance has started a project to change the National Electrical
Code for computer rooms and the requirement for an EPO switch.  Is this
something other ISPs and collocation providers would be interested in
seeing changed?  If so, we need to collect data and evidence to support
the change.