RE: Fire protection in ISPs and collocation facilities

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Sat Nov 04 21:22:22 2000

There are a lot of non-fire reasons that I like the presence of an EPO
switch and I would design one in regardless. However, its requirement in the
fire-code makes the expense easier to justify. I design framerooms with many
smaller UPS's distributed throughout the racks, as opposed to a central pile
of batteries. As a result, I have gel cells everywhere. I usually use
Liebert GT's, every two racks, with power pod and interlock, at the bottom
of the rack.

Some of the non-fire reasons;
Ground-faults placing 120VAC on the rack frames.
Flooding event.
Data intrusion prevention (Emergency SCRAM).