Re: router damaged by cracker?

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Thu Oct 12 12:45:21 2000

By the way that article reads, I would guess the attack was not
exceptionally sophisticated. (Everyone's definition of sophisticated is
different).

If one removed the config-reg (or renamed it) function on a small Cisco's
firmware one could quite effectively change the passwords and make it
difficult for a not very technical group of admins to take it back.

Since there is talk about moving their main router behind a firewall, my
guess is that they are using a routing appliance rather than any
sophisticated routing hardware. The $18,000 replacement is probably for a
different vendor, not because the hardware has lost function.

This is all wild conjecture because I haven't seen any alerts from vendors
in their normal channels. :)

Deepak Jain
AiNET