router damaged by cracker?

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Thu Oct 12 11:10:16 2000

If we assume that the router mentioned in the following cracking incident
is a popular model we all use: what other than zapping the FlashROM could
this attacker have done? We all know that <big popular vendor>'s firmware
source code has hit the pirate BBS's a year or two back : could someone have
compiled a rogue image that can actually fry some router components (I can
think of plenty of nasty things with serial ports transmitting too fast
for their own good - and burn the driver chips) ?

http://www.denverpost.com/business/biz1012d.htm