Re: netscan.org update

  • From: Bill Fumerola
  • Date: Sun Sep 24 13:27:39 2000

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 12:05:22PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> The difference is that smurf amplifiers normally only take down IRC,
> while spam relayers blast us all!  :-)
>
> hmmm....  that would indicate the response should be the opposite, now
> wouldn't it, or is it that more *network* operators use IRC than email? :-)

On a more serious note, abusing an open relay server doesn't wreck (as much)
network havoc on the target and fill the pipes of everyone involved. Spam is
annoying, being at the wrong end of the attack is devastating.

Can we get something like MAPS-RBL BGP that we can peer with that exports the
list of currently known amplifier netblocks?

I'd subscribe instantly.

--
Bill Fumerola - Former Packet Magnet (irc.lsl.com)
                [email protected] / [email protected]

PS. Yes, yes, spam fills up pipes and hard disks, blah blah...