Re: Is there an electrician in the house?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Sep 21 21:35:45 2000

On Thu, 21 September 2000, Phil Reese wrote:
> By definition, collocation companies need to be paranoid about
> everything.  However, when I asked them what is the issue with the APC
> device they just invoked 'this could cause an overload and potential
> fire hazard' as their technical position on why this passive, UL listed,
> device isn't allowed.

If you look at the APC web page it says

    Note: The CCPDUs are intended to provide the appropriate quantity and
    type of outlets. The CCPDU is not intended to add lengths to cable runs
    other than its inherent 4' cord.

    Note: The CCPDUs plug directly into the back of Matrix-UPS and should
    not be used with wall outlets.

In general when I see a a solution which violates the explicit written
directions of the product manufacturer, I get nervous.

Talk to your IBM sales rep about some better alternatives to use with their
S80 product line.