Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Sat Sep 02 21:20:16 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 10:40:32AM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> Ask yourself, as an ISP, how much more you are willing to pay your
> transit providers for IPv4 + IPv6 transit, and how you are going
> to get the money for that and for the deployment/retraining costs.
>
> Then ask yourself, as an ISP, what benefit you get from IPv6.

	As yourself, as an ISP if you can afford not to be testing
IPv6 today.

	I don't think it's ready for deployment on any wide scale,
due to a number of factors.  However, I do believe it will happen,
and sooner rather then later, due to the demand for addresses.  ISP's
should not be offering it as a service yet, or charging extra for it,
but they better be working on figuring out how it works, so when the
day comes they can convert quickly.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440