Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

  • From: Majdi S. Abbas
  • Date: Sat Sep 02 22:02:57 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 09:17:42PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> 	As yourself, as an ISP if you can afford not to be testing
> IPv6 today.

	Absolutely...

	IPv6 is not so much different from IPv4 that we need to do
years of testing, particularly before many vendors provide solid
IPv6 and IPv6 routing support.  IPv6 routing will change drastically
before it becomes production, and therefore, any operational experience
collected now will be nearly useless; particularly with the lack of
any volume of IPv6 traffic.

	All this assumes that it will become production, which is
going to be a very slow process if it happens at all.  As an ISP,
I would have to be insane to collect expensive and useless (for
several years) IPv6 allocations when I have my (useful) paid for
or grandfathered IPv4 allocations.

	It doesn't make any business sense.  The model is broken,
and as long as it's broken, large-scale deployment of IPv6 will
be extremely slow if it happens at all.

	--msa