Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Nathan Lane
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 20:12:46 2000

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:

> The real issue is getting all those routers and switches deployed. We
> can then turn up the clients and servers as needed.

The need for v6, at least for me, is in the deployment of mass
quantities of end nodes.  That I can nearly support today with existing
infrastructure.  I see little compelling need to upgrade my existing
routers to v6 now; I do see a need for 4000 wireless end nodes at each
of our sites - those could be serviced with a few app servers in the
home office that knew v6 and v4-v6 tunnels [yes, technically these would
be "routers"] at the remote sites.  At six to eight weeks for each
router software release for the bug scrub and six months to roll out
said code, we only have time to do it twice a year.  Adding a new
protocol would be formiddable unless tunelling were used to virtualize
the infrastructure.

-Nathan Lane