Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting (fwd)

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 11:41:53 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On one side you have pure business drives, on the other you have pure
> 'internet-good' drives. So far I haven't seen anyone suggest a useful
> middle ground.

The answer is quite easy, let the open market decide.  Allow organizations
or individuals to own address space by issuing titles to it.  Organizations
can then buy or sell address space according to their needs and the
inherent value.  All scarcity questions are answered easily, if you can't
afford to buy more, then your business plan isn't working, possibly
because you are using them inefficiently.  Capitalism is a wonderful
thing, it naturally distributes resources in a way that's much more
equitable than any other artificial system.  It solves the problem of
organizations that are assigned much more address space than they need (GE
would certainly sell off much of it's /8 if it knew it would get a bunch
of money for it).  New businesses could easily go out and buy exactly as
much address space as they need and can afford.  Worried about BGP table
size because you're too cheap to buy more memory for your routers or are
using old hardware?  Fine, filter based on whatever metrics you want, some
of us will make the investment to buy bigger and better routers and
provide a more complete internet service than you and provide more value
to our customers.

As much as way too many people dislike it, the fact is that the Internet
is a business now and has been for a while.  There's just no reason that
address space should be treated any differently than any other resource.
Put it on the open market, let the market decide who deserves more space,
let money, the only thing a business really understands, drive the
technology to reduce consumption of address space.  Someone who wants a
static address, or non-NATed service should pay the costs associated with
providing that service, the value of the address.

Brandon Ross                                                 404-522-5400
EVP Engineering, NetRail                           http://www.netrail.net
AIM:  BrandonNR                                             ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!