Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 18:52:32 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 06:09:11PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:

> Why can't they use those apps through NAT? I do it from home quite often.

Are you going to set up the port forwarding for 500,000 customers?  1 million?

You and I can set things up so port 22 goes to one machine, port 23 to another,
etc., but what are you going to do for 500,000 customers?

And what are you going to do for only 1,000 customers, with some of them wanting
telnet, some VNC, some ssh, some Napster, some webcams, etc. etc. etc.?

Set up a dozen ports for each of 500,000 customers?

Or do you have some magic NAT that automatically figures out every protocol,
known or unknown, currently existing or yet to be written, and routes it to
the correct machine?