Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 18:06:36 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 03:59:16PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:

> This is not meant at anyone personally, its just something I noticed.
>
> When we are deciding that IP savings, etc are worth it, why not make all
> Cable/DSL/Dialup providers use NAT to map access logins to a small pool of
> IPs too?

Because that only works if none of your customers want to access their home
boxes from outside in any way, and if none of their applications require a return
channel.

Telling your customers they can't telnet, ssh, or VNC into their home boxes
costs you all your *nix users, and telling them they can't use Napster costs
you all your Windows users.

The few Mac users you have left don't keep you profitable.  :-)