Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 13:42:10 2000

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:

> It sounds more like ARIN wants to shut down web-hosting companies or
> prevent them from doing SSL. The only other way to read this is that
> someone at ARIN is incompetent. Frankly, I'd like to know which.

There has been a ton of discussion on this issue.  In fact, at the last ARIN
meeting in Calgary we discussed it extensively (both at the AC meeting as
well as the public policy and member meetings).  The SSL issue was raised,
and it was generally agreed the objection was valid.  However, the general
response from most people we asked about the issue was that the number of
non-SSL web hosting customers was far larger than the number of SSL web
hosting customers.  With this in mind the people present at the meeting
generally agreed that a policy change made sense with an exception for
appilcations that require per-IP virtual hosts.

I really don't see what everybody is getting so up at arms about, especially
since there is an exception in the policy for applications that require
static IPs (such as SSL).

ARIN is an open organization and it does not make arbitrary decisions
without member input.  Every entity that receives address space from ARIN is
a member of the organization.  If you don't like what ARIN is doing, then
participate in the organization.  If you don't participate and don't like
what ARIN is doing, then IMO you really don't have a right to complain.

Hope to see you all in Herndon!

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson - [email protected]