Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 11:59:44 2000

Roland Dobbins wrote:

> It's a far-*left* policy - "We're ARIN, and we know how best everyone's
> resources should be allocated."
>
> A far-right policy would be "Here are these IPs you've requested; use
> them as you will, but don't come whining back to us for more because you
> underestimated your initial request."  This would be far preferable.
>
> The SSL issue is a real one, and I don't know how to get around it.  One
> would assume that this would qualify as an 'exception'; however, how are
> they going to verify what you're using them for?  Are they going to nmap
> your networks to see if you're really running SSL on the IPs you've
> requested?

It's irrelevant. I wouldn't mind using name-based hosting, but I have seen
some issues with Apache where it doesn't always serve up the correct
site. I haven't found a good way to do it at all with IIS, since you must
identify an IIS-hosted site by IP address. (Please, someone let me know
if there's a way to do name-based hosting with IIS - I'd like to do it!)

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, BOFH - President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor