RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting (fwd)

  • From: Karyn Ulriksen
  • Date: Wed Aug 30 13:04:43 2000

> >There is only a small number of services that currently
> really require
> >dedicated IPs.  HTTPS and Anonymous FTP.  Although, the
> HTTPS is a concern -
> >not that many customers actually use the Anonymous FTP
> service.  We ended up
> >offering Anonymous FTP as a premium service (I like to think
> that this cuts
> >down on warez and script kiddie distribution).
>
> Aha, I was waiting for someone to say that.
>
> So it's going to be OK to use per-host IP addresses if it's sold as a
> "premium" service?  So that business model is OK, but not
> another?  What if
> we say all of our services are "premium"?  What if too many of your
> customers start paying you for that "premium" service?  Where's the
> threshold?  Are you more justified in your IP usage because
> you charge your
> customers more for it?

No, but I've done due diligence to minimize the requirement and have created
an environment that is directed towards minimization.  As far as the concern
regarding using a "premium", last I checked this is a commercial venture.

> By what justification does this poorly-thought-out policy
> interfere with
> business models or competitive advantages between hosts?

Could you clarify what you are asking here?

> >A few customers will whine, but 98% don't know
> >the difference, understand and accept the limititations, or
> are just so damn
> >happy it works that they don't mind.
>
> Great for your customers, then.

They butter my bread.  Gotta keep them happy.

> >Although I do agree that ARIN does tend to be anal, I
> believe some system
> >architects would have shot us all in the foot by now if they
> hadn't put
> >their foot down.  We just have to be cleverer than them and
> I think that
> >shouldn't be too hard, right?
>
> Are you proposing to circumvent the policy?

Uh... No.  I just accept the challenge of doing more with less.  I'm always
game for problem solving, that's why I do what I do.  That's why they pay me
the big bucks.