Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Wed Aug 30 13:21:32 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 [email protected] wrote:

> > Theoretically, you could do the same with ftp as with pop3 - use
> > usernames like '[email protected]'.
>
> Not for anonymous FTP.  The username provided by every FTP client out there
> is "ftp" or "anonymous", nothing more.
>
> FTP is by no means wretched.  It's still in widespread use, and with good
> reason.

On the contrary, it is wretched.  It sends secrets in clear text.  You can
do nifty things like bounce port probes through some FTPD's because of
the data channel (a hold over from the days of NCP, before TCP).  FTPD is
easy to configure incorrectly, severely compromising the security of the
system running it (this is more admin error, I know).  I'm sure there are
others who can add to the list.

However, with that said, I'd like to state that discussing the merits of
the File Transfer Protocol is only vaguely operational before someone else
does.  I'll be more than happy to continue this conversation off-list
though.

__
Joseph W. Shaw - [email protected]