RE: lame delegations

  • From: Karyn Ulriksen
  • Date: Fri Aug 18 15:57:00 2000

> RFC 1912, Sec 2.1:
>
> " Make sure your PTR and A records match.  For every IP address, there
>    should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain.  If a
>    host is multi-homed, (more than one IP address) make sure
> that all IP
>    addresses have a corresponding PTR record (not just the first one).
>    Failure to have matching PTR and A records can cause loss
> of Internet
>    services similar to not being registered in the DNS at all.  Also,
>    PTR records must point back to a valid A record, not a
> alias defined
>    by a CNAME.  It is highly recommended that you use some software
>    which automates this checking, or generate your DNS data from a
>    database which automatically creates consistent data."
>
> I have yet to hear a convincing argument why this RFC should be
> ignored.  I have seen many problems when this is ignored.

What about when you're setting up ARPA entries referring to CIDR
allocations?

as in ...

1.8.5.10.in-addr.arpa.    86400  IN   CNAME    1.0/24.8.5.10.in-addr.arpa.

Somethings got to give there.  I know that you could say well, just put the
hostname instead of the target listed above, but the above is often used to
delegate ARPA for subnets to downstreams...

Karyn