Re: more on savvis outtages...

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Mon Aug 07 21:06:45 2000

Depending on if the have a primary or "virtual" POP in Pittsburgh, a
single circuit can pull the entire VPOP down. From what I understand of
their network, they backhaul all circuits of a VPOP to a "real" pop. So if
they have a hardware, port or circuit failure on the single channelized
circuit, everything is gone. Also since they bring most of their circuits
(especially T-1) over a CT3, any hiccup in that will cause a problem too.

I think the "entire Pittsburgh" network going down may be a function of a
small number of total circuits rather than a "massive failure" of
infrastructure equipment or services.

My knowledge of Savvis is possibly dated and this is meant in no way as a
compliment or criticism of their network topology or operations.

Deepak Jain
AiNET