Re: Telco NOC vs. Internet NOCs (WAS: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net)

  • From: Jeff Mcadams
  • Date: Tue Jul 18 08:29:58 2000

Also sprach Patrick W. Gilmore
>The telco world is completely different.  *EVERY* call has an
>"origination" and a "termination", and *EVERY* termination is *PAID*.

Although, at least BellSouth (maybe other ILECs) are trying to fight
this notion.

>So when it goes from you (user) to AT&T to MCI to Telstra to friend (user),
>you pay AT&T, AT&T pays MCI, and MCI pays Telstra.  (I made that sequence
>up.  I doubt a call would be routed like that, but you get the point.)

>So, if there is a problem inside MCI, AT&T will hound them about it.  Even
>though no "user" is paying MCI, AT&T *is* paying them, and has every right
>to get upset if quality is not up to par.

I tried that very argument with a BellSouth call center once to try to
get them to look into a problem with calls originating on BellSouth and
terminating on ICG...I ended up literally yelling at the woman on the
phone...how BellSouth get those J.D. Powers customer service awards,
I'll never figure out.

>If the call does not get through, they may say "MCI is having a
>problem", but they will work on it for you.

Theoretically.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email protected]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848