RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 23:42:52 2000

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Hal Murray wrote:

> What should happen when various business models for using the internet
> conflict?   Who gets to decide?  Or how do we collect and distribute
> the information so individual sites can decide for themselves?

Natural selection?

> The obvious example is an ISP who wants to take spammers as customers,
> or host web servers for spammers.  The next example is an ISP with
> a good looking anti-spam section in their AUP but they take a long

AGIS pretty much self destructed by taking the attitude "we just provide
internet connectivity...we don't police what our customers
(e.g. Cyberpromo) do with that connectivity."  By the time they realized
this wasn't winning them any friends (other than the spamhouses), it was
too late.

> How about ISPs that tolerate crackers or smurfers?  What about ISPs
> that are just slow or incompetent at backtracking abusive traffic
> with forged headers or setting up filters to drop forged headers
> from their customers?

They get blackholed by parts of the net :)

I once dealt with an ISP that was infested by crackers.  They knew they
had them, but didn't want to expend the effort necessary to get rid of
them.  Sooner or later, either the cops will force them to get a clue when
they have to help locate one of the crackers, or the crackers will get
malicious and trash the place.  Until then, it's business as usual.  It's
really scarey thinking (actually knowing) that thousands of people use
ISPs like this, where the boys next door have root (administrator actually
:) and may be snooping everyone's email, and the owners know about it and
just don't care.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |