Re: Running BGP4 on a Core Router

  • From: Jesper Skriver
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 23:22:52 2000

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 07:49:37PM -0400, HANSEN CHAN wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was hearing that typically BGP4 is run on all routers inside a POP,
> including access routers connecting to customers, border routers
> connecting other ISPs and core routers connecting to other POPs in the
> same network.
>
> I can understand why BGP4 is run on access and border routers. But
> running BGP4 on core routers is beyond my understanding. I thought you
> don't need to run BGP4 on core routers which are considered to be
> interior nodes.
>
> Can someone shed some light on what is the benefit of running BGP4 on
> the core routers?

If these routers run "normal" ip routing you have to, as each router
does a lookup of the destination ip address of each packet, and forward
it accordingly.

If you run MPLS, you don't have to, as it uses labels to get to the
next-hop router.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: Geek            @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)