RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 22:47:08 2000

[ On Sunday, July 9, 2000 at 18:38:42 (-0700), Hal Murray wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?
>
> What should happen when various business models for using the internet
> conflict?   Who gets to decide?  Or how do we collect and distribute
> the information so individual sites can decide for themselves?

Well, as the name implies, this is an "Inter"net.  Nothing guarantees
every connected network will be able to exchange traffic with every
other network any more than every net will be directly connected to
every other.  As Randy says exchange points can solve some of the issues
though of course that still doesn't mean that everyone who needs to
exchange traffice needs to meet at the appropriate exhange points.

The other questions you raise are somewhat more interesting, but I think
in the end it boils down to remembering as an Internet user (if you are
just one of those connected networks, for example) that you might not be
able to exchange traffic with absolutely everyone you wish to do so with
unless you (and perhaps they) go to somewhat extraordinary lengths to
implement more direct interconnections.

The best we can hope for is that the true backbone providers continue to
think like phone companies, and that they continue to avoid mixing their
backbone business with end-user business.  Perhaps eventually there will
be some form of sane government regulations that keep these assumptions
true for the most part.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>