RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 00:26:19 2000

Roland (first off, you're missing an 'e' <g>),

I agree. MHSC lost an entire market plan, hosting third-party
secure mail, becasue third-party mail services must allow
relaying that is at minimum semi-open. At the time SMTP AUTH
didn't exist (Until it's use becomes more wide-spread it still
isn't real useful). The anti-relay bunch are killing a valid
business model. Even for internal use, we have staff, on
client-site, that need to send/recieve their mail from our
servers, even when their lap-top is DHCP attached to another
net-block. Every week we find ourselves having to open the relays
more and more. Next week, I am travelling to the EU on business.
That's yet more net-blocks that I have to allow relaying from.

A single ORBS forged header, with the right source info in it,
will pass right through our mail system, like it was greased. The
whole anti-relay jihad is a fallacious rat-hole populated by
rabid self-righteous rats who don't have a clue. If they don't
need it then it must not be a valid feature <humph!>. ORBS itself
should be RBL'd, IMHO.

Using the same sort of mind-set to subjectively BL script-kiddee
networks is dangerous, as the ORBS bunch has shown. It is all too
easy for it to get out of hand, vigilante-style. What are the
criteria and who has the over-sight?

That said, having had a few of our production hosts "owned", by
mwsh in the past, I am NOT fond of script-kiddies and agree that
something needs to be done. But, I am seriously resistant to yet
another ORBS style regulator bunch. That is NOT the answer.
Please, let's all look for another solution.

---
R O E L A N D  M .  J .  M E Y E R
CEO, Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Tel: (925)373-3954