Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Sat Jul 08 14:26:37 2000

> I do not see how you would check if a machine is an open relay without
> testing, tho.

MAPS doesn't test any machine without an incident of SPAM being
reported. Does ORBS, in fact, only test relays that have been
reported?

If so, I'd love to know why I'm on the list, as was reported to me
(just yesterday, amusingly enough, by someone who tells me they tag
ORBS-listed mail but do not reject it). My outbound mail comes from
behind a firewall, and my inbound relay is secured against third-party
relay and does not prevent testing by anyone (that's not an invitation
to test, by the way). My crime appears to be having an address block
in the same prefix as the MAPS people - and not on the Abovenet
network.

AboveNet (AS6461) does not host MAPS. MAPS is serviced by the AS3357
network, which is owned by the same entity, MFN, that owns the
AboveNet network (AS6461). The routing policies of the two networks
are *different*.

The AS3557 network uses the MAPS RBL feed in BGP mode to attempt to
ensure that any address or block on the list *can* communicate with
the MAPS staff by email, or reach the various MAPS servers that would
allow them to figure out what's going on and how to make it stop. I
know, because I made it work that way at MAPS' request.

So - I don't run an open relay, which can be verified (and I suppose
my logs will be full of tests now that I've mentioned it), so why am I
listed on ORBS? My guess is that since I happen to be in a block
advertised by AS3557, I got caught up in either the ORBS-Abovenet
jihad or the ORBS-MAPS jihad.

Stephen