Re: OT: Earthlink Contact - Important Root Hacked

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Fri Jul 07 16:43:30 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 12:46:12PM -0700, K. Graham wrote:

> Sorry to bother you all but I am looking for a contact at Earthlink.
> The IP is under Sprint Advanced Network Services, Altamonte Springs
> Florida.  We have called that contact and shuffled onto Earthlink.  The

Does it reverse lookup to something sprint-hsd.net?

If so, it's somebody's DSL connection, and it may or may not be (but probably is)
a dynamic IP.

I'd nmap it and see what OS it is, and if it's Linux or Unix take a shot at
emailing root at that address, maybe you'll get lucky.

Then point them at http://www.elug.org, which is the local Linux User's Group
in that area, and I'll give 'em a few pointers on firewall setup.

If you'd like to email me privately with the IP, feel free.