RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Fri Jun 30 09:42:30 2000

> While I have limited experience in PGP infrastructure, I have spent a great
> deal of time with X.500 & X509 infrastructure (sympathy appreciated).

i watched that and see the parallel.

> The key service folk (PGP and anyone IETF-izing the X509 world, and the
> IPSEC folk for that matter) would be doing a Huge Service to Humanity if
> they simply *defined* the manner in which key servers will find each other
> using the DNS.

i am not convinced.  the email address space you describe maps well to the
dns as it too is hierarchic (in fact is the identical hierarchy:-).  the pgp
key space is not obviously hierarchic, but rather a non-directed and cyclic
graph.  so using the dns, e.g. srv rrs, to find a keyserver is not a mapping
so obvious that i can see it.

unless you are suggesting that looking for the public key for [email protected]
should follow the dns hierarchy for psg.com.  this forces all keys ids to be
domain name based, which is not a restriction in pgp.  it also does not work
in obvious ways for reverse lookup, though i can envision a hack similar to
in-addr.arpa (yuck).

randy